Cagnes-sur-Mer, between Saint-Laurent-du-Var and Villeneuve-Loubet, extends along a calanque offering nearly four kilometres of beach surrounded by hills, including the castle that rises to 90 metres of altitude.
Fourth city department of Alpes-Maritimes, Cagnes sur Mer includes an old medieval village perched on a hill dominated by the Chateau Grimaldi, a modern city with its feet and a fishing village, Cros de Cagnes, a seaside
The history of Cagnes sur Mer is closely linked to that of his castle. Indeed, it is in 1309 that Raynier Grimaldi, coseigneur Monaco, becomes lord of Cagnes-sur-Mer. He built a castle that will soon become a property of the branch of Grimaldi in Antibes. But during the French Revolution, the Grimaldi family is evicted from the city. The castle was abandoned until a particular buys and restores in 1875. The last Marquis de Cagnes and Antibes died in Belgium in the twentieth century.
Purchased by the municipality in 1939, the castle of Cagnes sur Mer is transformed into a museum in 1946. In addition to its architectural interest and its fresco representing the fall of Phaeton, conducted in 1620 by Giulio Benso, the castle houses a museum Ethnographic olive tree, donation Suzy Solidor, including a quarantine portrait of the singer made by big names painting of the early twentieth century and a museum of modern art Mediterranean. Every summer, the castle also offers temporary exhibitions through its International Festival of the painting.
In the late eighteenth century, fishermen from Menton twice a year, laying their nets in waters cagnoises. These are fish if they decide to settle permanently on the coast, then marshy, quickly joined by Cagnois who abandon their agricultural activities. The village continues to prosper through fishing, reaching its peak in the early twentieth century with a fleet of more than a hundred "advanced" (the name given to the local fishing boats).
In 1903 the painter Pierre-Auguste Renoir is the acquisition of a property in the district Collettes, where he lived with his wife Aline and her children, until his death in 1919. He painted portraits, nudes, still lifes and mythological scenes.
Today transformed into a museum, this area offers, in addition to visiting the studio of the painter, tables of the pearly period (1889 to 1919), sculptures, lithographs and preparatory studies.
In September 1952, the racetrack of the French Riviera opens its doors with temporary facilities. Eight years later, in December 1960, is the official inauguration.
Since then, the infrastructure have continued to develop and improve, enabling it to become one of the largest racetracks France both a sporting point of view (many races Groups trot, gallop and obstacle) and in terms of attendance.