Place holiday among the most popular of the French Riviera, the island of Porquerolles is the largest of three islands of Hyères (Gold islands) with its 1254 hectares of area. Its perimeter is some thirty kilometers and the culmination of the island lies the semaphore to 142 m. Very south since located on the same parallel as the Cap Corse, the island of Porquerolles is the southernmost point of the Provence Coast.
The island of Porquerolles is the ancient Protè, for the Greek settlers installed on its shore. The north shore is composed of sandy beaches covered with pine trees, heather and odoriferous myrtles, the south coast, as in Port-Cros, is steep.
The small village of Porquerolles, at the bottom of a small bay, gave its name to the whole island was built and there is a hundred years by the military administration. The village was created from 1820, the lighthouse in 1837 and the church in 1850. After being passed into the hands of several successive owners, the island was purchased in 1912 by Franz Joseph Fournier, and offered a wedding gift to his wife, Sylvia. Fournier, son of a poor boatman Belgian, had finally make a fortune in gold prospecting in Mexico, after years of a life of extraordinary adventure through Canada, Panama and California. Starting from its installation on Porquerolles and until his death in 1935, Fournier s'attela to develop a farm-oriented philanthropy.
Acquired in large part by the State in 1971, Porquerolles was placed under the protection of the National Park of Port-Cros and the Conservatoire National Botanical Mediterranean Porquerolles.
The main activities to Porquerolles are walking, cycling, beach, scuba diving. All these activities are highly regulated, however, particularly to meet the requirements of the Conservatoire National Botanical Mediterranean Porquerolles, created on February 15, 1979.
Walking around the island while offering landscapes quite extraordinary, such as the inlet of Oustaou-Diou (house of God), and named by fishermen because it is the only shelter the coast south.
On the island of Porquerolles is also Fort Sainte-Agathe, the sixteenth century. In 1793, the English captured the island of strong pleasant way. The commander of Fort ignoring the events of the continent, an English admiral came house its fleet in the islands. He invited the commander at its table. While the officer was being french confidence by libations, English sailors landed, attacked the garrison by surprise and blew the fort.
Finally leave the discovery of the lighthouse at Cap d'Arme, located at the southern tip of the island. It is a point of view on almost all of the island: the hills of Langoustier, Fort Sainte-Agathe, semaphore and cliffs of the south. Beyond the Sea, there are the bay of Hyères and the Massif des Maures.
The island of Porquerolles is a truly unique place which has become "site" in 1988.
Fires and cigarettes are banned outside the village, as well as camping. The gathering is strictly prohibited in order to conserve biological diversity. During your visit to Porquerolles, see the detailed regulation of the island in the details of the National Park of Port-Cros.